Tragedy weekend struck the people of Mopa-Muro Local Government Area of Kogi State after four family members died after allegedly eating a yam flour meal popularly called ‘Amala’.
The latest incident comes barely two months when five persons lost their lives after eating a cassava flour meal prepared at their family house in Usugnwe-Okaito, Okehi Local Government Area of the state
It was gathered that the deceased victims are the father, two daughters, and a family relation.
The mysterious death of the deceased victims, according to investigation, happened in quick succession between Friday, September 30, and Sunday, October 2nd, 2022.
The incident has thrown members of the community into confusion as they are all calling for a quick investigation to unravel the mystery behind the death of the four family members.
An eyewitness told our correspondent that the victims fell sick overnight after eating the meal, as efforts to stabilise them proved abortive when they were all rushed to ECWA Hospital, Egbe, for better medical attention.
One after the other, it was gathered that they all passed between Friday and Sunday, while the mother of the house, identified as Molomo, who also ate the meal alongside her family members, is currently under close examination at ECWA Hospital Egbe.
It was learnt that the burial of the four family members has been suspended since the community suspects foul play over their demise.
“We are really saddened with the mysterious death of these four family members after eating cassava flour ‘amala’.We suspect that someone may have poisoned the food. The community have decided to suspend their burial pending the outcome of our investigation over their mysterious death. This has never happened in our land. It is strange,” a community member said on Monday.