The Police Command in Kano has confirmed the death of a husband and wife in their home.
The couple lived in Kwa village under the Dawakin Tofa Local Government Area of the state.
The couple is believed to have died of suffocation from charcoal fumes.
Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abdullahi Haruna-Kiyawa identified the deceased as Sulaiman Idris, 28 and Maimuna Haliru, 20.
The PRO said after no one heard from them, Idris’ grandmother forced the door open and found the duo motionless.
A team of detectives led by CSP Ahmed Hamza, DPO Dawakin Tofa Division, proceeded to the scene.
The bodies were rushed to Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital where a medical doctor ascertained their demise.
Haruna-Kiyawa noted that the couple lit a charcoal fire to warm the room due to the cold weather.
“They locked up and got suffocated by the smoke that emanated from the burning charcoal”, the spokesperson added.