Trader wrestles 2 Shilla Boys in Adamawa, wards off robbery attempt


A trader in Yola, Adamawa State capital, has put up what is widely seen as a brave act, fighting off two notoriously dangerous young robbers known in Adamawa parlance as Shilla Boys.

The trader, a shop owner named Mohammed Adama, is said to have fought off the two Shilla Boys who attempted to break into his provision shop, although he nearly lost his life in the process.

Mohammed who operates his shop in Sangere Bode, a community in Yola South Local Government Area some 15 kilometres outside the main town of Yola, was said to have been so hard on the youth gang members, as he almost tore off the left hand of one of the weapon-wielding boys.

Available details indicate that the incident happened on the 2nd of September when the suspects, Umar Sa’ad who is 18 and Mohammed Idris who is 20, armed themselves with cutlasses, hammers, cutting pliers and sticks, and stormed the provision shop around 2:00am.

Upon their arrival at the shop, the boys started breaking the door, but Mohammed whose shop is close to his residence, heard the sound, and armed himself with a cutlass, came out of his room and went after the boys, one of who ran off, leaving the one who trusted in the might of his weapons to face off against the shop owner.

The young robber had the upper hand in the exchange of stabs, such that the shop owner, even after inflicting deep cuts on the boy, bled into unconsciousness, which the boy took for death and ran away.

Family members and neighbours who got wind of what was happening came out and rushed Mohammed to hospital, and the following morning, neighbours and police detectives traced the bloodstains on the ground right from the scene of the crime to the house of the suspect at Sangere Bode and arrested him and his gang member who had earlier fled.

The two suspects are now facing prosecution at the Chief Magistrate Court 1 in Yola, for “criminal conspiracy, breaking open a receptacle containing property and causing grievous hurt.”

The defendants pleaded guilty, after which the prosecutor, ASP Francis Audu, prayed the court to adjourn the case to enable the prosecution called a witness to corroborate their plea.

In his ruling Chief Magistrate Aliyu Bawuro adjourned the case to the 23rd of September, 2021 and ordered the remand of the defendants in prison custody.

Post a Comment