INEC cancels Ini/Ikono Fed Constituency rerun election over violence


The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has cancelled Ikono/Ini Federal Constituency supplementary election held on April 15, in Akwa Ibom State, following reported incidences of violence.

The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Akwa Ibom, Dr Cyril Omorogbe, disclosed this to newsmen in his office in Uyo on Saturday.

Omorogbe said that the election was cancelled in all the 17 polling units where the rerun took place as a result of snatching of electoral materials, including Bimodal Voters Accreditation Machine System (BVAS) devices.

He also said a National Youth Service Corp, NYSC, member on election duty was shot.

He said: “We had four local government areas where we conducted elections and the major one was Ikono/Ini Federal Constituency.

“We were there this morning early enough and at about 8:30 am polling units were opened. A couple of hours after we opened the poll, I received a call that BIVAS machines were hijacked.

“So, I knew from then that we were in for a tough time. Two hours after, I received another report that was not good. So, the election in Ikono/Ini federal constituency has been cancelled.”

He continued: “They were fighting all through the Local Government Area, in the 17 polling units in the area. I received a report from the collation officer that was supposed to collate the result in the area the election did not hold.

“The whole exercise of those 17 polling units, was either hijacked or disrupted, people were being chased and other things of that nature.

“The collation officers in the field, who were supposed to collate results, all came back and wrote reports. The result sheets they are supposed to fill out are all here. Apparently, there was no election for now.

“[Regarding] Abak/Etim Ekpo/Ika Federal Constituency, I am still expecting to hear from them. I believe at this point things went well. Perhaps, in the next couple of hours, the result will be declared.”

Dr Omorogbe expressed regret over the NYSC member who was shot in the leg while on duty.

“He is still in the hospital. We’ve done our best in terms of providing money to make sure he is well-treated. I strongly believe he will be okay,” he said.

Post a Comment