Police attribute death of two Unizik students to carbon monoxide poisoning


The Anambra State Police Command has attributed the death of two students of Nnamdi Azikiwe University whose corpses were found in a room on Sunday night to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The students, male and female, were discovered in their room after their neighbours sensed an offensive stench coming from the room, only for the door to be forced open and their bodies discovered.

In a press release by the state police command’s spokesperson, DSP Toochukwu Ikenga, the command said a comprehensive investigation into the incident has been ordered but also stated that preliminary investigation points to carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of the use of a small power generating set which emitted smoke into the apartment.

Ikenga in his press release said: “The Commissioner of Police CP Echeng Echeng today 21st February 2022 wishes to enlighten the general public, especially Ndi Anambra on the dangers of carbon monoxide.

“It’s a dangerous substance that is very toxic to health. This substance when inhaled can cause serious damage to the body and can lead to death. The substances mostly emanate from generators, water heaters, coal-burning appliances or any gasoline-powered engine.”

He said the CP issued the warning after the discovery of two lifeless bodies in an apartment in Awka, and that he has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the discovery at a students’ lodge.

“Preliminary investigation reveals fumes from the generator was strongly perceived from the room when the door was forcefully opened by police officers that responded to the distress call. Meanwhile, the recovered bodies were deposited in the morgue and no mark of violence was found on them.

“However the command urges the general public, most especially the generator users to keep them away at a safe distance from the window/any place the fumes can penetrate into the house, to avoid such poisonous fumes like carbon monoxide affecting the ventilation of the house,” he said.

Post a Comment